Good Friday - Lenten Devotional for March 25th


                   Please read the scripture from The Message, then meditate on it as if you were a                                                      disciple then meditate some more. 
    


   Click on the highlighted text to read today's scripture in The Message

I didn’t plan on betraying Jesus at Passover – I figured it would be better after the crowds were gone and could not intervene. But tonight is the night. I went to the High Priests. I figured they’d at least send the Temple Guard. But – No! They assemble a crowd with clubs and swords to go with me! And did the High Priests or religion scholars come? No! What weaklings! I bet nothing even happens tonight…

So we go and I greet Jesus with a kiss. Then I faded into the background. In the dark it was hard to tell, but I think Peter chopped off somebody’s ear – which Jesus promptly healed.  Then all the disciples took off. But I stayed in the shadows. After all, I’ve been watching Jesus for three years. In five minutes he can have this motley crew standing with their jaws hanging down!

But No! Jesus willingly went with them. I continued to follow at a discreet distance.

The High Priests called an illegal trial in the middle of the night. Just when I thought they were going to give up because all their “witnesses” contradicted each other – the Chief Priest asked Jesus point blank – “Are you the Messiah?”  Jesus promptly said “Yes.” That means blasphemy... That means a death sentence… That means the Romans will have to be involved…

Pilate didn’t think Jesus was guilty of anything – but those High Priests stirred up the crowd and pretty soon they were chanting “Crucify! Crucify!”

God – what have I done?

Jesus – forgive me…

*This devotional was written by Brenda Clark

Comments