Reflections from a mission to Africa



Back in May, a small team from 1st United Methodist Church heeded the call to Go.Do. Over a two week period of time this group worked in various ways to help change lives in the African nation of  Kenya.  It is a mission trip that not only changed the lives of the people in the village where they worked, it also had a profound impact on the lives of the mission team members. 


Ann Leatherwood
Our trip to Kenya was special in so many ways. Our group of 5 acquaintances quickly became close friends.

We shared the experience of serving others in the medical clinics and watching children develop their reading skills.
We played with preschool students before serving them their only meal for the day.
We worshipped for almost three hours with a couple of hundred children and teens who sang and danced for over an hour.
We laughed until we hurt and shed several tears.
We were prayed for and thanked abundantly.
We also delivered almost 1,000 ink pens and over 400 toothbrushes that were donated by you, our congregation.

It doesn’t seem that a pen or toothbrush would make a difference, but in many cases they are a luxury item. Many thanks for everyone who donated and to all who held us in your prayers.

Joe Leatherwood
I spent some time working with a man that had five children. He traveled two hours per day spending over 90 % of his income on transportation costs to work at a boarding school. We used basic, many times patched together hand tools, to repair and maintain the "big" school . Never a complaint and taking pride in his work, this man showed me several ways to get a job done without electric or water service. Very ingenious

Barbara Hammond

What an awesome and humbling experience to have been a part of our church’s mission trip to Kenya. In going on this journey, our primary goal was to share the love of Jesus to everyone with whom we came in to contact, with special interest in the areas of medical care and education.

Upon returning, our team realized we were the ones who were deeply blessed.  The people of Kenya showed faith in action, a passion for worship and grateful hearts even in a land where daily living lacked many of the basic needs we here in our own land take for granted...clean water, plentiful food, medical care and educational opportunities.

May the Lord bless the beautiful people of Kenya and give them peace.


Pam Beard
Even though I knew God was calling me to Africa, I had no idea what I might be able to offer to those I was going to serve. I knew I could teach children in the USA, but I wasn't sure I would connect with the Kenyan little ones. I couldn't have been more wrong. The children are thrilled to see you! They smile and say "Jambo!" (Hello!) and are genuinely glad you have come. They are anxious to do whatever you ask of them, and so very much want to please you. From the smallest to the tallest, I felt warmly welcomed, wanted, and connected. I learned on this trip that God can use you even if you have no idea how to be useful. Just stepping out and making myself available gave me the opportunity to serve.

I went with the Medical Team to a village called Solai, where an earthen dam had broken and washed away whole families and all their belongings. We stood on a hilltop looking out over a muddy expanse with nothing left on it but sticks where the homes had been, and a random shoe or bit of clothing on the ground. It was in this place that I learned how to give eye tests for reading glasses and was blessed to see elderly people weep for joy when they could see for the first time in many years. You cannot witness things like that and not be changed. I am so very thankful I could be a part of it.

Comments