Daily Devotions for Advent
 

In My Heart There Rings a Melody - Janet Harville

  Some of you older saints may remember the song, "In My Heart There Rings a Melody, There Rings a Melody of Love."  It isn't in our Hymnals now but the words came into my mind when I heard the title of this year's Advent Devotional theme The Songs of Christmas.  How I love that music!  The familiar words and tunes that I've heard for years bring back so many memories of God's faithful love for me in Christ Jesus.

      I continue to be amazed at the LOVE SONGS that swirl around me in my head.  Some days there might be a question or a concern that has surfaced in my "real world" and while I do not dwell on it, there's a faint tune in my brain that eventually deepens into a lyric from a Hymn or a Scripture Song, and it's the answer or affirmation for the situation.  What peace can sweep over me when I sense The Lord's presence!  Have you ever read, MUSIC WASHES AWAY FROM THE SOUL THE EVERYDAY DUST OF LIFE?  That says it all for me: Melody of Love!
 
     So, this Advent, as you look forward to Christ's birth, listen with the "inner ears of your Spirit" to the song that is playing inside you.  It could be, "Oh, Come All Ye Faithful, joyful and triumphant; oh, come let us adore Him." Or "Love Came Down at Christmas, love all lovely, love divine."  And especially, "Joy to the World"! The Lord is come! Let earth receive her King:  let every heart prepare him room, and heaven and nature sing." 

Saints, sing on, then "Go, Tell It on the Mountain."
                                                                                                                               
Janet Harville


If you would like to receive the daily Advent devotions in your inbox please click here. 
For more information on what's happening at 1st UMC-Maryville during Advent & Christmas visit:

Comments