Daily Advent Devotion for December 9th - Leslie Shuman




Christmas Cut-Outs
By Leslie Shuman


My extended family journeys home to Pittsburgh each year for Christmas, to our family home. In my parent’s kitchen is an electronic picture frame that scrolls through over 8,000 digitized photos chronicling our family. As you can imagine, many of these photos depict Christmases over the years. One of my favorites is of my brother and I decorating Christmas cut-out cookies. 

This one photograph captures one of my very favorite family traditions. As most children, I first encountered Christmas cut-outs as a finished product: colorful and delicious. By the time of the photo, I realized that preparation is required for making the cut-outs. First, my Mom would make the dough, then refrigerate it to get it to the proper consistency.  Then, a day or two later, we would roll them out and carefully press in the cookie cutters. We also baked the cookies that day. Next, my Mother always froze them as they iced much easier when frozen. Finally came the decorating where we carefully selected the best colors for each cookie: red icing for Santa and the poinsettia, chocolate for the reindeer, green for the trees, and white for the angels and snowmen. This activity is what the picture snapped: my brother and I elbow deep in icing and me probably discouraging his use of non-traditional colors! 

When we moved away, my Mom stopped making Christmas cut-outs, citing they were too much work for one person. After I saw that photo, I decided to resurrect the tradition. Now I make the dough, bake the cookies and freeze them.  A few days later, my sister in law and nieces come over and we decorate them together.  We have a lot of laughs at the familiar shapes and, of course debate the best colors for each cookie. It was the picture that prompted me to resurrect this tradition and I am very glad I did. 

Advent is a lot like making those cut-outs – it is the daily preparation on the journey to Bethlehem each year that makes the miracle of Christmas all the richer. Keeping traditions like Christmas cut-out cookies can be a strong reminder of the importance of preparation and patience as each step makes the final product better.

The Book of Isaiah is frequently studied during Advent as it foretells Jesus’ birth. Isaiah, chapter 11, verses 1-5 say:

        A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse; 
              from his roots a Branch will bear fruit.
        The Spirit of the Lord will rest upon him –
        The Spirit of wisdom and of understanding,
        The Spirit of counsel and of power,
        The Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord –
        And he will delight in the fear of the Lord.
        He will not judge by what he sees with his eyes,
        Or decide by what he hears with his ears,
        But with righteousness he will judge the needy,
        With justice he will give decisions for the poor of the earth.
        He will strike the earth with the rod of his mouth;
        And with the breath of his lips he will slay the wicked.
        Righteousness will be his belt and faithfulness the sash around   
               his waist.

Amidst your long list of To-Do's this Advent, here's hoping you find joy in the preparation as well as the destination that is Christmas.



Comments