Daily Advent Devotion for December 6th - Julie George




Christmas of Old, Into the New
By Julie George



16 But Ruth replied, "Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. 17 Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord deal with me, be it ever so severely, if even death separates you and me.
- Ruth 1:16-17


I remember Christmases of my childhood, gathering of extended family and the joys of knowing this was our way of doing things. My family is from a small town in Georgia, and we all claimed the place and people in it as our own. My mother, father, and brother were the core of my understanding of family. Uncles, aunts, and all four grandparents were there at every Christmas. We were a family. Knowing this formed my understanding of family and community.

In adulthood, though, I experienced changes, both wanted and unwanted. Sad losses contrasted by warm welcomes from new family members brought me to the time of my mid-life. I learned that the memories of childhood, while sweet, were not a blueprint for my future.

Meeting and loving my mother-in-law has been one of the great joys of my life. She accepted me as a daughter, gave me space to grow my family and faith, and it was fueled by a generous flow of love. Like Ruth and Naomi, we are secure in our love for each other. Even though we miss those who have passed away, we know that this is our family of today, and we give thanks, always.

Growing up, I had expectations that the Christmases I enjoyed as a child would continue year after year, but that was changed by illness and distance. However, I give thanks every day for the bounty of new traditions and new family relationships that have emerged.




Prayer Focus:
Spend a few moments in prayer for new family members.




Comments