Daily Advent Devotion for December 3rd - Chris Lee



Broken to Beautiful: A Poem on Family
By Chris Lee


I feel most at home in the presence of family when family equals rest and comfort.
            Rest from my toils, rest from my burdens, and the comfort to just be me.
However, I recognize that family does not always bring respite from life’s racket.
Those are the times that I dig deeper, and lean into my family even more, as I remember all that 
            family can do for us.
While I carry burdens on life’s hike, there is family also hiking who help lighten the load.
While life may seem an unending maze, family can help straighten the way.
While life can be untidy, the mess can become a picture of a life well lived alongside the family      
            among us.
Family may be “normal” or atypical.
We may use familial terms for those by blood relation, or for others who love us without condition.
No matter who we call family,
            We can view it as a burden or as rest,
            We can view it as a labyrinth or as a clear path
            We can view it as untidy or as the process of creating something beautiful.
While some things may be broken, we are a moment away from it becoming beautiful.
As the world became overwhelming for us,
            God sent a baby to save all that was shattered.
            This child came to mend what was mangled.
            Jesus came to restore what had been ruined.
In each moment, in every corner of this world, God is taking those things 
            that seem burdensome and broken and is making them beautiful.
May I see the beauty in my life and my family in this season and beyond.
May this baby, the redeemer of all things, redeem my family, my life, and my perspective on both.  


Colossians 3:12-14:
12 As God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience. 13 Bear with one another and, if anyone has a complaint against another, forgive each other; just as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. 14 Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. 



Comments