Daily Advent Devotion for December 22nd - Rev. Lisa Blackwood



The Aluminum Tree
By Lisa Blackwood



An aluminum tree, really?  My grandfather worked for ALCOA, and nothing would do for him except that crazy aluminum tree. In my earliest years we would gather at his home to watch him assemble that tree and place that twirling colored lamp at the side.  It was a sight to behold! But the modern look of that tree was waiting to be assaulted by those ancient ornaments. My great-grandfather arrived in the states via Germany, his home country. What remained of his possessions by the time I was born were his treasured and beautiful handmade and hand blown Christmas ornaments. To a child, that glittery tree with all that silver sparkle was worthy of an award.  Those dull ornaments, some with the hangers broken or missing, were far less enticing.

I haven’t thought about those ornaments for a very long time. My grandparents moved away when I was ten, and those ornaments with that sparkly tree left at the same time. Today when I think back to those times, what I remember the most was a joy-filled family, dancing and singing around a tree, casting shadows by the fireplace in an old house filled with treasures. Each ornament held a story of our heritage. Looking back, I know they were beautiful and amazing. However, I was too distracted by the sparkle of a new glittery aluminum tree to take in all the stories the ornaments were trying to tell. But didn’t I know the stories by heart anyway?

I’m much older now, decades older. And now I understand that the enticement of the glitter and glam is not the real thing. Now I know that where we came from matters. Our stories, our lives are intertwined and they all go back to a time when the world was complicated and hard (sounds rather familiar, doesn’t it?). The world needed a Savior. The world needed something so much more than superficial sparkle.  

God sent us His Son, His only beloved Son. He did not arrive in a golden coach or in regal garb. He was born in a stable, placed in a manger, and even so, the glory of the heavens sang and people sought Him.

Enjoy your sparkles and your festivities—I know I will. But at the same time I plan to do some kneeling around that lowly manger. It’s a story that I can tell by heart, and it’s a story that still needs to be heard.



Comments