Daily Advent Devotion for December 18th - Nathan Irwin



Traditions: Sacred to Silly
By Nathan Irwin


Does your family have some weird or unusual tradition? Do you go on a cruise or celebrate Christmas at the beach? Do you go to waffle house for Christmas dinner? Do you get new matching pajamas each year on Christmas Eve and wear them that night? Maybe you binge all of the cheesy Hallmark Channel Christmas movies or watch A Christmas story 5 times. My family has lots of Christmas traditions (some that we love and some that we loathe). But I will tell you about two of my favorites.

The first tradition is one that my father's side has been doing for a long time. Each year we get together on Christmas Eve morning. We prepare and consume a giant breakfast buffet that always includes hash-brown casserole, biscuits and gravy, and fruit salad. We also exchange gifts, but the main event here is being together as a family and eating together.

The second tradition is one that Crystal and I chose to start when we had children. Each Christmas Eve, before we put the kids to bed, we snuggle up and read Luke's account of the birth of Christ. The Jesus Storybook Bible has a wonderful version of the story.

If you look at everyone's Christmas celebrations, they can run the gamut from sacred to silly. While not all holiday practices have to do with Christ, I hope that you will pause this year to take stock of your traditions and add a few that focus on Christ and on the hope that He brought into the world.


Mary said, "With all my heart I glorify the Lord! In the depths of who I am I rejoice in God my savior."
Luke 1:46-47




Comments