Daily Devotional for Advent - December 10th



As a child growing up in the Moravian Church, I was privy to all the magical things that are so wonderful during Christmas. For me, The Moravian Church in Old Salem, North Carolina, was no different than any other church during most of the year. 

At Christmas time, all the tedious and monotonous rites during the week turned into something wonderful and exhilarating. This was especially true in regard to the Moravian Love Feast on Christmas Eve. This is a special service for the people of the church during
which time all members of the church, as well as welcome visitors, can share a meal together. My memories of this service were sensory in nature as would be expected for a
child.

The first thing I would notice as our family entered the church were all the beautiful lights and displays. The entire hall was like a magical wonderland that glowed with brightness as if fairies had scattered golden dust everywhere.  My mother and father probably noticed first the smell of the special coffee with a delicate cream that wafted all the way
to the back of the room. Even I was allowed to sip some in moderation. The warm sweet buns with orange peels and cloves was another delight. What child does not like sweet
treats on Christmas? 

 As I feasted on the sights and tasted the delights being offered, a new sensory impression came to me. The brass ensemble, made up of several members from the church,
began playing beautiful carols that infected even the most Scrooge-like of people there with the spirit of Christmas.

The musical part was even more important to me because one of the baritones was played by my older brother John. As I sipped my coffee and cream, ate my sweet buns, and
listened to the beautiful carols resonating throughout the church, I knew I was one of the luckiest children in the world. At the end of the service, we would raise our lighted
candles and sing together from “Morning Star.”

Morning Star, my soul’s true light, tarry not, dispel my
night! Morning Star, my soul’s true light, tarry
not, dispel my night. Jesus mine, in me shine, in me
shine, Jesus mine, fill my heart with light divine.

These special memories always come back to me during the Christmas season. Is it any wonder that this is what I remember most at this time of year?

Amelia Geis-Scott

Comments