Advent Devotional for December 2nd - Rev. Sarah Slack


One of my favorite Christmas songs is Away in a Manger.  I vividly remember my momma and my Granny Rachel singing this song while working in the kitchen and decorating the Christmas tree.  But, they sang it to the tune CRADLE SONG, rather than the tune found in our hymnal (MUELLER).  I grew up singing both versions and sometimes accidently mix the two.
   
Rocking my babies, I sing songs (mostly hymns) and even though my girls have spring birthdays, I sing Away in a Manger to them.  My oldest daughter, Rachel, prefers the MUELLER version because, “that’s what we sing at church” but my favorite is still the lullaby sounding CRADLE SONG.  That means, when I sing to Ruth Ann, she gets both!
    
Year round, I think the tune my momma and granny sang is the perfect lullaby.  Verse three is the perfect prayer for us all:  “Be near me, Lord Jesus, I ask thee to stay close by me forever, and love me, I pray; bless all the dear children in thy tender care, and fit us for heaven to live with thee there.”

Rev. Sarah Slack - Associate Pastor 1st UMC Maryville

Click below to hear a version of Away in a Manger, Cradle Song from Celtic Woman.

Comments