Advent Devotional for 11-30-15, O Holy Night - Brenda Clark


Just reading the title of the Hymn probably brings back memories. Perhaps fond memories - like listening to Joe Feeney sing it every year on the Lawrence Welk Show. Perhaps not so fond memories - since it is not an easy song to sing.
 
I was raised in a Christian home and we worshipped weekly and celebrated a Christian Christmas. As a child, I remember the whole family sitting around the Christmas tree in our living room on Christmas Eve singing Christmas Carols.  One year, I took one of my dolls and wrapped it in "swaddling cloths" and placed it under the tree.  We attended a small church that would fill the sanctuary with live evergreen trees to surround the nativity. I don't know how old I was when the Fire Marshall said we could not do that anymore.  The "forest" was replaced with two fake trees - scrawny in comparison.
 
But as many people do - I 'left' the church when I left home for college. I tried ignoring God; I tried running from God; I tried alienating God - and it seemed to work for a while - or so I thought. But He was always there - putting Christians in my path, nudging me, reminding me how much I valued the Christian principles I was raised with. So when I got married and had a child, God reeled me back in.  And He used "O Holy Night" to do it. 
 
I will be giving away my age when I tell this, but - I heard it played on a secular radio station - they used to do that back then!!!  But I wanted to read the words to be sure I had remembered them correctly - and it was before the days when you could "google" lyrics!!!  Then the local newspaper printed the lyrics!!! I still get a thrill when I hear Christmas Hymns played on the radio and TV!!!
 
O Holy Night! The stars are brightly shining,
It is the night of the dear Savior's birth.
Long lay the world in sin and error pining.
Till He appeared and the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.
Fall on your knees! Oh, hear the angel voices!
O night divine, the night when Christ was born;
O night, O Holy Night, O night divine!
O night, O Holy Night, O night divine!


Brenda Clark

Comments