Hope at Midwinter - Larry Campbell

All of my life I have had Seasonal Affected Disorder (S.A.D.). When fall begins, I find myself counting the days to the winter solstice and the lengthening of the daylight hours. The medical profession claims that this disorder is caused by the shortage of sunlight perhaps upsetting circadian rhythm or producing less Vitamin D. It is estimated that 20% of the people of my Celtic ethnicity suffer from this malady. The symptoms are depression, and loss of enthusiasm.

The month of December also brings back memories of family gatherings of the past. I am an only child of my mother but she had 3 sisters and 4 brothers and they have produced an immediate family of over 30 people. We gathered at our grandparents at Christmas and made happy memories that fade with each family death and passing year.

The combination of S.A.D. and growing old and losing family can bring despair. Despair is defined as the loss of hope. Hope is the feeling of expectation and a desire for positive things to happen.
Expectation is what Christmas is all about. Strictly from the gospel accounts, the expectation of the Jewish Messiah comes through clearly. For example, Simeon and Anna (Luke 2) both understood the importance of Jesus's birth, and Simeon in particular detailed the Messiah's role as "a light of revelation to the Gentiles.” When the magi arrived (Matthew 2), the scholars in Israel directed them to Bethlehem as the Messiah's birthplace.

The apostle Andrew calls his brother, Peter, to Jesus by saying, "We have found the Messiah" (John 1:41). Later, the Samaritan woman at the well knows the Messiah will come (John 4:25).

On Christmas day one of the shortest daylight hours of the year we celebrate the birth of the “Light of the World” (John 8:12 NIV) when Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

We don’t know the exact date of Jesus birth but there is evidence that it was in late September. The celebration of Jesus’ birth at midwinter was decided by the early church Fathers to compete with Pagan celebrations at the winter solstice. I am glad that we celebrate Christmas on this otherwise dark and dreary day the expectation of light is what encourages and assures me to wait for spring and rebirth.

This is what Hope means to me.  That the light of Jesus will keep me out of the darkness of despair and will make of me an instrument to do his will, to love Him with all my heart soul and mind and to love my neighbor as myself.

Larry Campbell

Comments