Expressions of HOPE - Janice Maynard


1 Peter 3:8  But do not ignore this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like one day.

Every year in late November I unpack my Christmas decorations.  The two angels you see in the picture are some of my most cherished possessions.  For years, they held court at my Grandmother’s house, waiting for December 25 to arrive.


I like the expression on each face…a little mischief, a little joy.  On the bottom of both is stamped a date – 1959.  These two little angels have been waiting for Christmas fifty-five years!  That’s a long time to wait for anything.  But the essence of waiting is hope.  As we read in the scripture verse above, God’s time is not our time. 

When we begin to give up hope…when we despair of our world ever finding peace, we must remind ourselves that with the Lord a thousand years are like a day.  Our job is to be faithful in prayer and to never admit defeat, because God is with us.

The other thing I love about these two angels is that they are not perfect.  Though you may not be able to see it in the photograph, both of their wings have been broken and repaired many times over the course of fifty-five years.  Though the glue-filled cracks are visible, the angels still smile.

My “damaged” angels remind me that despite my mistakes and missteps, I can still hope and wait for God to come at Christmas.  In the gift of a child, we are put back together and made new.

Angels came to Mary and gave her hope…hope for a child…hope that she would be used to fulfill God’s purpose.  Though God’s heavenly host are often portrayed in white robes and golden wings, I believe if Mary looked closely, she might have seen a few broken feathers and mended seams here and there.


To me, hope is not an ephemeral dream.  It is the fulfillment of a promise…God’s promise.  Hope then and now as captured in the cry of a baby.  Hope for a world that seems hopeless. 

Janice Maynard

Comments