Christmas is Hope - Ann Tallent

   For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.   John 3:16 NIV

On December 20, 2004, my Dad passed away. His funeral was two days before Christmas. The day following his funeral I sat starring at the Christmas tree with the brightly wrapped presents beneath. I thought how can we celebrate Christmas without Daddy? Then, these two words materialized in my mind, or maybe it was God's voice: "Look beyond!" My eyes moved from the tree and focused on the manger scene. There at the crèche, ALL eyes: those of Mary, Joseph, the three wise men, the shepherds, and even the animals were focused on the baby Jesus laying in the manger. God was reminding me to focus on His gift to me. That gift was his son, Jesus, who would later die on the cross for me and for others so that in believing, we too would have eternal life.

At Christmas, Hope was born -- not just hope in that we desire eternal life, but that with faith the hope becomes a reality. Even though that Christmas was more somber because of the absence of my father, we could rejoice in what God had given us. I knew with certainty that my Dad was in heaven because of God's promises in the Bible.


Prayer:  Heavenly Father we thank you for loving us and for sending Hope to a broken world. That through our belief in your son and in His resurrection, we too will have life eternal with Jesus. Amen.

Comments