Reflections from the Jersey Shore - Part 2

In the last edition of The Church Bell several of the New Jersey Mission team members gave you a taste of what the experience was like for them.  Here on 1stmaryvilleblogspot.com, the team members give you even more insight into this transformational journey.   In this entry, Steven Bailey talks about why he went and what he learned. 

1. What inspired you to go on this trip?

I felt as A new church member I wanted to take this mission as a way to grow and mature in a body of Christ in a caring congregation. To make new friends and influence a community while taking in the sights and sounds of a place I now admire not only for its strength, but also the faith and progress endured by the locals who have overcome in the time since Superstorm Sandy.

2. What stood out most about the first day on the work site?

That it was as close to the beach as it was but just the fact that it sort if stuck out among the other homes for its outside appearance. And also just the community reaction that first day when they seemed shocked our team came from that far; but also that the foreman mentioned Ms. Teresa (not by name) but just her story and how it seemed to resonate in that neighborhood. I felt most blessed that first day just to see the home and the work ahead for our team.

3. For those of you who met Teresa (the homeowner), what about her inspired you or touched you?


She was such an inspiration in just how resilient she was and never felt the need to uproot herself through adversity. Her commitment and passion seemed to rub off on everyone in times of stress. If I felt tired or worn down id think if this nice lady could go through that I can suck it up.

4. For those of you who had never been to the Jersey Shore, what did you think of the area?

It was similar to my beach experiences growing up but it seemed thriving and vibrant despite everything. The boardwalks were spectacular and offered a lot for a traveler to take in and see. Wished I had played mini golf but then I discovered Custard and that changed everything. All that being said the locals were hospitable unless you dropped food near a seagull. Had fun w/ the team on the boardwalks and shores of NJ. 


5. What were your biggest challenges at the work site and what did you do to overcome them?

For me it was space and time and making the two match up so any priority projects could be handled and then just general safety and staying aware of conditions that otherwise were not. And please don't jump in a dumpster of compost without eye protection.

6. How did this experience influence your faith journey?

It shaped it tremendously by reaping the rewards of (by way of Frozen® and Ms. Allison Crandall) letting it go. My hands and feet were not guided by the usual case of labor and complaining but by trust and guidance that my gifts were used in a blessed way to enhance the project and surrounding area.

7. What was your favorite part of the trip?

The boardwalks and my nightly journal entries. Thanks for that Ms. Suzanne I had such a creative spark every night by free writing my takeaways from our walk with god. As per my love of cinema I titled every entry after a Scorsese film with the first one being Taxi Driver and the last of course being The Departed.

Thus a great walk and journey of my life was concluded by taking this mission. The friends I made are permanent as are my impressions of all of that region. (but I got a bone to pick with Maryland)

The great bard Shakespeare himself might have said : "Mine own heart beat thusly and seek thou fortune when the heart doth know its full treasure..."

Comments