Saying Goodbye - Rev. Asa Majors

When I was a child, I loved the late 80's - early 90's version of the Mickey Mouse Club.  Every episode was a party.  The saddest moment was when they sang the reprise of the infamous MMC song. It has some lines that I currently find endearing and meaningful:

"Through the years we'll all be friends where ever we may be... Now's the time to say good bye to all our company [family]... see you real soon... why? because we like you!"

I am always encouraged when I read John 17:20-26.  Jesus talks about the intimacy of his relationship with God and his desire for our relationship with him and with God, and with one another.  We are to all be one; to be friends and family in Christ.  This is, of course, also part of Jesus' prayer in the final days of his life here.  He was preparing himself to say good bye.  He was preparing himself for the next phase of his ministry.  Jesus was preparing himself for his death.

Jesus knew that life is all about relationships and that sometimes, no matter how painful, we have to say good bye to those we hold most dear. We say bye but we'll all be friends where ever we may be, because we are one in Christ Jesus.

Brian, Ethan, Jack and I are so sad to be leaving           1st UMC, Maryville.  You all have been family to us.  You have watched me stumble and fumble through awkward moments in worship.  You celebrated with me when I was ordained.  You showered Brian, Ethan, and me with love when we got married.  You have prayed for my family in times of need and rejoiced when healing came.

I have been to more band/orchestra concerts and sporting events than I ever imagined to support your youth.  We have worshiped together, played fun games, cried, laughed, eaten, and traveled many miles.  I love them so very much.
  
We know God has called us to Bethel-Vonore and we give thanks knowing that God is already making a way for us to do ministry there and for the new team to do ministry here.  But you will always hold a special place in our hearts. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

In Christ,
Asa


Comments