Thorns in the flesh - Janet Harville

I trimmed a rose bush several weeks ago.  I knew it was early in the season because we would probably get a killing frost and that would decrease the rose blossoms for this spring but it was a nice day and I wanted to be outside, doing something productive. It was a small job, so I didn't wear any "protective covering." Ouch! i came away with sharp barbs in my hand and arm. Well, use some antiseptic and get over it. Only , I couldn't get over it that is! The next day the spots were red, then sore, and eventually in need of further inspection and then, removal. 

What does that have to do with Holy Week, you ask?  The thought struck me of the pain Jesus must have endured when some ruthless Roman soldiers platted a crown from some long, sharp thorns and gouged it into Jesus' head and then Mark 15:19 says, "and they stuck his head with a stick again and again." Agony! Pain! No wonder Scripture calls this Passion Week.

there is a song in our Hymnal, To Mock Your Reign, O Dearest Lord, that says, "they could not know, as we do now, how glorious is that crown: that thorns would flower upon your brow, your sorrows heal our own." Praise and thanksgiving to You, Oh, Jesus!


Janet Harville

Comments