The ultimate transition - Kathryn King

Scripture:
"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
                             Jeremiah 29:11

A few years ago, I was going through a major life transition, and it drug on … and on … and on. During that time, I clung to the words in Jeremiah 29:11

I’m currently in the midst of more transition. Some is exciting (my son’s graduation and move to college), and some is more stressful (changes at work). But as we reflect during this Lenten season, it occurs to me that Jesus was preparing for the ultimate transition as the time of His crucifixion drew near.  

No one could know more about God’s plans than Jesus, yet both Matthew (26:36-46) and Luke (22:39-46) contain accounts of Jesus praying “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.” (Matthew 26: 39)

According to both gospels, Jesus prayed this way three times before leaving Gethsemane. Jesus knew the end result. He knew the grave was not His ultimate home. He knew He would spend eternity with God the Father, yet He prayed for an alternative while being obedient to God’s will.

Thankfully, most of us will not be faced with an impending cruel death, yet Jesus’ humanity as He approached His crucifixion is a marvelous gift to us. God intimately understands our suffering. Jesus, in his humanity, experienced our suffering. And, through God’s words in Jeremiah 29:11, we know that God has plans to give us a hope and a future.

So, if you’re in the midst of a transition, take comfort in the fact that your Savior knows your pain and that God does have plans for you … plans to give you hope and a future.

I invite you to listen to the words of “Hold On” by The Daniel Doss Band as your close your devotion with these words of comfort for those who suffer:

You may not see it and you may not feel it
But I'm holding you tightly
Your spirit is near me
So hold on, hold on,
It will not be long till it's all over
Child hold on, hold on
Lay your weary head upon My shoulder

It will not be long. Easter is coming!

Kathryn King

Comments