Psalm for Lent - Ginny West Case

I recently learned that there are seven Psalms that serve as guides for prayer and reflection at this holy time of year.  For centuries, persons have dealt with the compelling and honest pleadings of these Psalms as they ponder how God offers mercy and love to God’s children even when we sin and fall short of being righteous.  These Psalms are 6, 32, 38, 51, 102, 130 and 143.

Walter Bruggemann who has authored numerous books on the Psalms suggests that the Psalms can be divided into three categories:  Psalms of Orientation when life is going well; Psalms of Disorientation when life struggles and challenges seem overwhelming; and Psalms of Reorientation when one is regaining balance again and grace is accepted.

The Psalms for Lent are Psalms of Disorientation where the Psalmists yearn for release from bondage, sin and struggle.  However, in the midst of the pain, there is hope.  God is a God of mercy and love, and not just love but steadfast love.  The writers are able to make their pleas because they are aware that God has not really abandoned them.  They know that God is still very present even when it seems that all hope is gone.  They can be honest with God and scream and yell and rant because of God’s unconditional love and mercy.

In Psalm 6, the writer cries for mercy, healing and salvation from fear.  There seems to be “the loss of genuine covenant interaction” (Brueggemann) as the Psalmist grows weary from groaning and as vision is overcome by distress.  But there is hope in verse 9:  The Lord has listened to my request.  The Lord accepts my prayer. 

So how do we respond?  Pray this Psalm and the others.  Make them your prayer in times when you are in the pits.  Rejoice and give praises for God who is ever present.  If these are good times for you, remember those who struggle and pray these psalms for them.  Read out to them and help them remember the hope of God’s covenant promises of mercy and unfailing love.   


Psalm 6
 Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger,
    or discipline me in your wrath.
 Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am languishing;
    Lord, heal me, for my bones are shaking with terror.
 My soul also is struck with terror,
    while you, O Lord—how long?
 Turn, O Lord, save my life;
    deliver me for the sake of your steadfast love.
 For in death there is no remembrance of you;
    in Sheol who can give you praise?
 I am weary with my moaning;
    every night I flood my bed with tears;
    I drench my couch with my weeping.
 My eyes waste away because of grief;
    they grow weak because of all my foes.
 Depart from me, all you workers of evil,
    for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
 The Lord has heard my supplication;
    the Lord accepts my prayer.
 All my enemies shall be ashamed and struck with terror;
    they shall turn back, and in a moment be put to shame.

Comments