Pray twice - Stephen Nelson

Scripture:
Jesus and his disciples came to a place called Gethsemane. Jesus said to them, “Sit here while I pray.” He took Peter, James, and John along with him. He began to feel despair and was anxious. He said to them, “I’m very sad. It’s as if I’m dying. Stay here and keep alert.” Then he went a short distance farther and fell to the ground. He prayed that, if possible, he might be spared the time of suffering. He said, “Abba, Father, for you all things are possible. Take this cup of suffering away from me. However—not what I want but what you want.” 
He came and found them sleeping. He said to Peter, “Simon, are you asleep? Couldn’t you stay alert for one hour? Stay alert and pray so that you won’t give in to temptation. The spirit is eager, but the flesh is weak.” 
          Again, he left them and prayed, repeating the same words. 
Mark 14:32-39 CEB

One of my deepest joys is having a dream and working to see it come true. Dreams are inspiration. They capture the heart’s imagination, the mind’s power, and the spirit’s will.
 I always have a dream. Sometimes it’s as simple as learning to make perfect pumpkin bread. I’ll bake it over and over and over varying the recipe and baking conditions until I get it perfectly sweet, spicy, and moist.
 I’m simply fascinated by desire—the ability to will dreams into reality. It’s one God’s most beautiful gifts.
Desire is powerful. I’m convinced that if people want to do something, they will figure out a way and if they are either apathetic or do not want to do something, it wont happen.
Have you ever invited someone to an event they clearly didn’t want to attend, but weren’t technically busy. Their response is always a bit awkward. It’s not polite to say, “I am totally free, but that sounds terrible and I’d rather be bored and alone than do that.” Usually we do a bit better with something like, “That sounds, um, interesting, let me check my calendar and get back to you.”
No matter how you say it, it’s a far cry from, “What a cool opportunity, I’ll do whatever it takes to make it. Count me in.”
Desire is powerful. On Jesus’ last night, he famously prays to be spared the cross, but puts his trust in the Father’s will. Then he goes to be comforted by his best friends and finds them asleep. He wakes them and asks them to pray. Then he leaves and prays the same prayer a second time.
As I was reading this passage, I saw something I had never seen before: Jesus prays the same prayer twice. How often do we neglect even praying once?
When Jesus was overcome with the full burden of his calling and the pain of loneliness, he prayed twice.
          I identify with Jesus’ loneliness in this passage. I miss the same closeness of friends I had in high school and college. I desire few things more than close friends here in Maryville/Knoxville. So, I’ve been praying over and over again asking God to bring close friends into my life.
I challenge you to desire God’s action enough to pray twice.
Stephen Nelson

Comments