Yearning for spring - Brenda Carroll, co-pastor 1st UMC

Have you noticed that the yearning for spring is almost universal in the eastern U.S.?  The long and severe winter has us longing for change.  I have noticed that the stores are full of fashions and furniture and "Easter stuff" and picnic supplies. At least these make us feel like spring is going to come soon. But the garden centers are strangely empty.  

The cold and gray days push us into doldrums.  Lent reminds us that our real longing is for God.  There is one little bunch of daffodils that has bloomed in my yard.  Pitiful though they be, they send me to Matthew 6, the "spring times of the soul" passage: 

"Instead of looking at fashions, walk out into the fields and look at the wildflowers.  They never primp or shop, but have you ever seen color and design quite like it?"                                                                                                                                          (The Message)


I can't wait for the flowers of spring - those in the fields and those in the garden shops. I can't wait to shed the winter clothes and go out in short sleeves.  I can't wait to sit outside in the sun and listen to the birds sing.  

Do I watch with such eagerness for signs of God's grace? 
Do I sit still and bask in God's presence and listen for God's voice? 
Do I acknowledge the warmth of God's love in all its human wrappings? 
How great is our God? 

God, thank you for the return of spring and its message of new life.  Thank you for the cross and its message of new life.  Remind me that some of the changes I resist are indeed signs of new life. 

Amen.

Brenda Carroll - Co-pastor 1st UMC/Maryville



This is part of a daily devotional series running through the Lenten Season (March 5-April 20th).                   Please feel free to comment below and share this devotional with your friends and family. 
 If you would like to receive the devotions by e-mail please visit www.1stchurch.org to sign up.

Comments