Where is God during this Lenten season? Lisa Thomas

Where is God during this Lenten season?  I know many of you ask this question as you experience or read about human tragedy.  So do I.   Consider the following excerpt from a recent Associated Press story.   

“…militants set fire to a locked dormitory in northern Nigeria, then shot and slit the throats of students who tried to escape through windows during a pre-dawn attack.  At least 58 student were killed, including many who were burned alive. Most of the victims appeared to be between 15 and 20 years old.

Their crime?   The perpetrators found their pursuit of a “western education” anathema to Islam.  God clearly did not protect these children from being brutally murdered.  However, a bizarre interpretation of God’s will did.  After reading this story I found myself saddened for the victims but also grateful my own children have had the opportunity for excellent western educations in safe locations.  I realize nothing but luck placed my children in a country that cherishes religious and educational freedom.  The murdered children were born in an unsafe place with religious strife and division.  Does God care about my children more than the Nigerian children?  Of course not.  If I thought so, I couldn't believe in God. 

A woman who used to be active in a volunteer organization I work with has been unable to volunteer for several months because her son became extremely ill with an stomach problem.  He suffered for months with nausea and pain.  Numerous medical tests were run.  Medicines were given, allergy tests were done, alternative diets were tried, all giving the child no relief.  After six months the parents were ready to travel to a major medical center for more testing.  This was the last I knew of his story.  I ran into this woman last week in the store and asked about her son.  She exclaimed that her son had miraculously recovered.  She said they had never travelled so seek further medical attention.  Her church had a healing service where her son was prayed for by many church members.  After the service (3 months have passed) he was never sick again.  All I could say was “thank God!”  

We all are perplexed by the seemingly “picking and choosing” by God, the rain (or sunshine) on the just and unjust.  How do we make sense of it all?  Anger at God?  Sometimes.  Passive acceptance?  Rarely.   My personal response is to acknowledge that the way God works is a mystery.  I don’t understand it, it makes no sense to my logical mind.   I do continue to ask God for faith and wisdom.  To pray for peace and justice in the world.   I don’t ask what I should do to be the hands and feet of God 0in the world.  It’s clear that I should work to alleviate suffering and bring gladness wherever and whenever I can. 

Lent is a time for prayer and reflection.  The reflections I have shared lead me to 1st Corinthians 13:12, “For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face: now I know in part, but then I shall know fully just as I also have been fully known.” 

I join with you as a fellow pilgrim on the Christian path.  One who sees dimly but pushes forward with an incomplete understanding but a strong conviction that love and compassion are what God desires from all of us.  Our ministries at 1st UMC seek to do just that.  Though his understanding was also incomplete, Jesus gave fully of himself after his time in the wilderness.  May we continue to join arms and hearts to do the same.


Lisa Thomas

This is part of a daily devotional series running through the Lenten Season (March 5-April 20th).                   Please feel free to comment below and share this devotional with your friends and family. 
 If you would like to receive the devotions by e-mail please visit www.1stchurch.org to sign up.

Comments