The need for hope - Greta Smith


Scripture
Now there was a Pharisee, a man named Nicodemus who was a member of the Jewish ruling council.  He came to Jesus at night and said, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the signs you are doing if God were not with him.”

 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.

 “How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!”

 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit.  Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”
 John 3:1-8 (NIV)

I love butterflies.  I have always admired God’s handiwork in these beautiful creatures, but during the most painful season of my life, butterflies became especially meaningful to me.  A powerful symbol of transformation and new life, the butterfly spoke to my deepest need in my darkest hour: hope.


When I read this puzzling interchange between Jesus and Nicodemus, it occurs to me that butterflies are some of the few species that actually experience two births, and two remarkably different lives.  A couple of years ago, my family purchased a butterfly dome, and patiently watched five tiny, scrubby-looking painted lady caterpillars grow, cocoon, and emerge re-created from their chrysalides as elegant winged beings.  It was an everyday miracle, happening right in our home--a little taste of heaven, not lost on any of us.  

We were awed, I think, not only by the beauty and excitement of the anticipated transformation, but because such a thing speaks directly to the soul.  The message of the butterfly is that the simple, plain, ordinary, and even ugly can be radically changed into the exquisite, splendid and magnificent.  The deepest longing of my spirit is to know this truth.   I need to cling to this promise of redemption of all things: hope.

When Jesus spoke to Nicodemus about being born again, I believe that he was not speaking of a one-time event, but of a lifelong process.  Transformation begins in us when God claims us through baptism, or even before, but it does not end there.  I am aware of my need not only to be born again, but to be born again and again and again. 

I have read that when a caterpillar is changing inside a chrysalis, the process involves a complete breaking down of the original organism.  In other words, if you open a chrysalis during the middle of the process, you would likely find a gob of goo, not bearing any resemblance to either the caterpillar or the butterfly.  The caterpillar is not only transformed; it is completely broken down so that it can be re-formed.   The times in my life when I have truly experienced spiritual rebirth have felt a lot like that.  Part, or parts, of me, seemed to be broken down completely before they were changed.  Birth is almost never a comfortable experience, even though it is always the Giver of Life who does the real work.  

Greta Smith

This is part of a daily devotional series running through the Lenten Season (March 5-April 20th).                   Please feel free to comment below and share this devotional with your friends and family. 
 If you would like to receive the devotions by e-mail please visit www.1stchurch.org to sign up.

Comments