The Better Thing

Scripture:
Luke 10: 38-42

I have heard many sermons based on this incident at the home of Martha and Mary in the life of Jesus, and I confess I always identify with Mary. I much prefer my books to cooking and cleaning, so maybe my claim to be a Mary is self-serving. Actually, I think all of us have characteristics of both Martha and Mary within us, but one or the other tends to dominate. Still, I have often taken satisfaction, if not pride, in feeling more attachment to Mary’s role.

Which is why I was brought up short this morning by observing that I had taken on Martha’s role. I wasn’t preparing a meal for anyone. I was performing my usual morning exercise routine, a time when I normally close my eyes and focus inward, taking the opportunity to offer prayers of intercession for family and friends. However, this morning, I couldn’t focus. I would begin speaking to God, but soon I found that I was mentally elsewhere—planning my route through Walmart when I went to buy groceries later in the morning. I pulled my thoughts back to my prayers and started again, but soon found myself thinking about tomorrow’s plans for meeting a friend I haven’t seen in a long time.

As I once again pulled my thoughts back to my prayers, I thought of Jesus’ words to Martha in today’s Scripture: “You are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part . . .” I, like Martha, was allowing myself to be distracted from the better thing, indeed, the best thing—time with Jesus. Lent is a time for repentance and reflection, both of which I obviously needed at the beginning of this day. Interestingly, as soon as I confessed my distractedness to God in prayer, my unsettled mind became focused and I was able to carry out my prayer time without further distractions.

Are you, too, finding yourself distracted from the better thing, spending time with Jesus? Confess it, repent of it, and tune in to what our Lord would say to you today.


Norfleete Day

Comments