That last walk - Wanda Teffeteller

A few years ago Lyoren and I were traveling in Israel.  Two events have made a lasting and profound impression on me.  Our bus stopped, we got off and proceeded to walk "up to Jerusalem."  My impression had always been if you were coming from Galilee or Jericho, you would go down to Jerusalem. You see, Jerusalem is on a mound or mountain top, and it is necessary to climb up.  I thought of the times Jesus, his family, his disciples must have made that climb to go to the Temple. I felt very close to Christ at that time. 

We also walked on the road Jesus would have taken as he roade into Jerusalem on a donkey while his followers waved palm branches and shouted, "Hosanna, blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord."  He would have passed by the Garden of Gethsemane as he crossed the Kidron Valley to go up to Jerusalem.  It was in that garden he prayed, "Father if it be thy will let this cup pass from me, but not my will but yours be done."

As meaningful as this was for me, the observance of Lent has far more importance than those events. Lent is the time when Christians prepare for the greatest of the Chirstian observances known as Easter by thinking fo things they have done wrong. It's a time when Christians try to overrcome their own faults because they believe that it was man's sin wheiche led Jesus to be cruscified. Some Christians give up luxuries and try to practice self-discipline. Some try to put aside more time for prayer and Bible study. I think of John 3:16, "For God so loved the world that He gave his onley begotten son that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life." That last walk up to Jerusalem must have been the hardest walk he ever made and my heart is heavy as I think that walk of sacrifice was for me and for you.  

But we visited another sight, an empty tomb and I can almost hear people shouting, "He is risen! He is risen indeed!"  A song comes to mind:


He lives, He lives, Christ Jesus lives today.
He walks with me, and talks to me along life's narrow way.
He lives, He lives, salvation to impart.
You ask me how I know He lives?
He lives within my heart!

Does He live within your heart?


Wanda Teffeteller


This is part of a daily devotional series running through the Lenten Season (March 5-April 20th).  
Please feel free to comment below and share this devotional with your friends and family.
If you would like to receive the devotions by e-mail please visit www.1stchurch.org to sign up.

Comments