Simplify - Summer Webb

It seems like all of us these days are trying to simplify our lives. I hear that word all the time, “simplify.” Most of us look to simplify in all the regular places… how can we say “no” more? Can I force myself to do yoga or meditate?  Can I carpool so that I only have to be in two places at once instead of three?

After leading Kid's Own Worship for almost a year now, I have learned one of the easiest tricks in the world to simplifying my spiritual life. I read a children’s Bible. Seriously.  I don’t even know where my “regular” bible is.  I occasionally read scripture or devotionals on my iPhone, but I promise you that most of the time, I head to my children’s Bible to get a simplified version of the scripture I just read. Many times, we all put off things we find difficult or demanding. This is not easy for me to admit, but this is sometimes how I felt about reading the Bible. In preparation for our Lenten studies in Kid's Own Worship, I learned a lot about the season of Lent. I learned more than I even realized I did not know! And learned it all from my third grade son’s Bible.

So I urge you to read the Bible in a different way, something more simplified. Take the pressure off of yourself to understand everything God is trying to tell us all of the time, in that exact moment. Perhaps you try a different version, perhaps it’s something you borrow from the Children’s Department. You never know, you might like the change!

Here are the verses we are studying  in Kid's Own Worship from the Hands On Bible, given to our third graders last August :

Fasting
“But when you fast, comb your hair and wash your face. Then no one will notice that you are fasting, except your Father, who knows what you do in private. And your Father, who sees everything, will reward you.                                                                                                                                                                                                               Matthew 6:17-18

Praying
“But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father in private. Then your Father, who sees everything, will reward you.”                                 
Matthew 6:6

Giving
But when you give to someone in need, don’t let your left hand know what your right hand is doing. Give your gifts in private, and your Father, who sees everything, will reward you.” 
Matthew 6:3-4

Thanking
“Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.”                                                                                                             1 Thessalonians 5:18

Serving
“God has given each of you a gift from His great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another.”                                                                                                                                                                                                                             1Peter 4:10

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Summer Webb
Kids Own Worship Leader


Comments