Seeing is believing: Janice Maynard


On March 9th, the first Sunday of Lent, I returned home from church to find that a little beauty had bloomed in my absence just outside my front door.  This particular crocus strikes me as a very “Lenten” flower, not only because of its color, but by virtue of its sheer courage.

Though we are tantalized already by days of sunshine and warm breezes, we know that winter has not given up its grip entirely.  Frost will come.  Gray skies as well.  But the crocus opens regardless, giving us joy and hope during the waning days of a hard season.

Today’s Psalm is a familiar one and a profoundly human one.  “I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills…”  The Common English Bible says, “I raise my eyes toward the mountains…”  Both translations speak of our need to rise above our struggles and seek solace in beauty and grandeur.

Here in East Tennessee, we see the majesty of the Creator at every turn.  The Smoky Mountains are a comforting and familiar backdrop.  Even during the early days of Lent when buds are yet to burst open and bare branches seem dead and drear, we know what we have seen. The mountains will flower recklessly in rebirth.  All we have to do is wait.

Seeing is believing.  We’ve heard the familiar phrase many times.  But during Lent we are called to believe without seeing.  On the dark road to the cross, we walk blindly.  The comforting cycle of God’s regenerative power to turn the world from winter to spring gives us the confidence to know that Resurrection lies ahead.

One of the lasting gifts I received from my grandmother was a love of baking.  I enjoy the smells of cinnamon and yeast and the anticipation of sharing around the table.  Though she has been gone for two decades, I remind myself of her love with a glance at the penmanship on a old recipe card, or by imagining her unseen touch on a familiar bowl or piece of glassware.

I can scarcely recall her face, but even so, I remember…
As we journey through Lent and seek to draw closer to God in Jesus, we have only to open our doors to find proof that we are loved.  The world is poised—shivering, giddy with anticipation—to burst forth in praise of the One who suffered and died and rose again.

Lift up your eyes.  Your help comes from the Lord. 


Amen and Amen…

Janice Maynard 

This is part of a daily devotional series running through the Lenten Season (March 5-April 20th).                   Please feel free to comment below and share this devotional with your friends and family. 

 If you would like to receive the devotions by e-mail please visit www.1stchurch.org to sign up.

Comments