Sacrifice - Cathy Finney

Today's word is sacrifice. 
       

When pondering this word, I asked myself, "What sacrifices have I made in my life?" I have sacrificed owning a nicer house, a newer car, or fewer meals out in order to help put my kids through college.  I have put off buying new clothes, or quit spending so much money on my scrapbooking hobby to get us through a reduction in household income. I have sacrificed eating desserts in order to lose a few pounds. Hmmmm.....


Okay, so what have I sacrificed for The Church?  Well, I've given money, but not really 10% of my income. I give my time to assist in worship services, help with youth, help out at Family promise, go on mission trips.  Okaaaaaaay.....


How does that compare to my role model, Jesus Christ? Nowhere close. I mean, He sacrificed living in a comfy home, His family, perhaps a career in order to spread God's word. Is that how I should sacrifice? Ultimately, He sacrificed His LIFE to save me from my sins. I know I don't have to make a blood sacrifice, because Jesus did that for me.


So where does that leave me? Feeling kinda' sheepish, actually. And wondering what kind of sacrifices God wants me to make.


In the devotion book, My Utmost For His Highest, Oswald Chambers discusses sacrifice several times. He reminds us that we are to sacrifice our lives to God, meaning we don't pick and choose what sacrifices we make for Him. If we choose life with Him, we are ever open to His will for us. Chambers says, "If God has made your cup sweet, drink it with grace; if He has made it bitter, drink it on communion with him."


So thank you, Jesus, for making the ultimate sacrifice for me. And now, I ask you to please teach me how to sacrifice my life to be in continual communion with God so that I may follow His will, whatever that may be.


Cathy Finney

Comments