Returning to the Lord - Chris Lee


Scripture
12“‘But know this,says the LORD:
Return to me with all your heart, with fasting, weeping, and mourning.
13Tear open your heart, not your clothes!
Return to the LORD your God, who is gracious and deeply loving as a mother, quick to forgive, abundantly tender-hearted - and relents from inflicting disaster.
Joel 2:12-13

1st Church is doing a photo theme every day for the season of Lent through our social media outlets, and today, that theme is Return.  As I have been praying over that word and discerning what I am to learn about God and about myself, I started thinking about times in my life when I felt like I needed to return to God.  I can easily recount a time in my life when all seemed dark and dreary and I felt angry and downhearted.  At that point I realized that I wasnt living as the person I wanted to be or was meant to be.  I began my road to healing and wholeness again by return(ing) to the Lord.  I remember reading different laments in the Hebrew Bible and finding the writers praising God in the midst of their great grief, and I realized that was exactly what I was meant to do.  In my time of feeling this despair and darkness, I began to worship, pray, and write.   I decided to write my own lament to sing to God.  These song lyrics became the cry of my heart as I returned back to God, and they are still my cry at times today as I need them:


VERSE 1: My mind is prone to wander off
to find what I have done to cause You to leave me in all my despair
I hope that You can hear my pain; I shout of it with all I am
And try to trust Your promises are true.

CHORUS: So, I will lift my should and sing, Oh, I will lift my soul and sing
For even in my darkness theres You
Oh, I will lift my soul and sing, yes, I will lift my soul and sing
For even while I grieve I know theres You, I know theres You

VERSE 2: Maybe Your wills what I cant see, or maybe Youve forsaken me
What happened to, Youd never leave my side?
While I unload all my lament, its hard to trust You do not tempt
Though I hurt I know Youre only good

CHORUS

BRIDGE: How deserted this city feels that once was full
Always treasuring yesterday is desolations tool

CHORUS


During this season of Lent, in what ways do you need to return to the LORD?  Maybe you need to find your way back to a community where you can worship God and serve Gods people.  Maybe you need to write your own lament and give God your praise and turn your gaze back on God.  Take time today to pray and discern what places in your life you need to return to the LORD.

Chris Lee - Contemporary Worship Leader/1st UMC

Comments