A special scripture - Dennis Weeter

Everyone should have a special scripture passage. My favorite is Psalm 23. Let me tell you how this became my "go to" scripture. It was a beautiful fall day in 1998, a Friday afternoon, near dusk. I was traveling to Huntsville AL with my son Bryce. He was to be in a soccer tournament the next day. 

We arrived at the motel, unloaded our stuff, and headed out for a bite to eat. I jumped on the interstate and in two exits I turned right to get off and pulled in front of another vehicle. Bam! Crash! Our van rolled three times until it came to a stop upside down with both of us suspended by seat belts. 

The world was dead quiet. In a few seconds a voice said, "Dad, are you OK?" Then the sirens started ( fire truck, ambulance, police). We were removed from the vehicle, loaded into the ambulance and taken to the ER. We were OK. 

After a medical check we took a cab to the motel. I suggested we pray. There was a GIDEON Bible on the night stand. With my hands shaking, I picked it up and then dropped it. The Bible landed open to Psalm 23.


Two verses drew my attention.
Verse 1: The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want.
Verse 4: Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for though art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Dennis Weeter

This is part of a daily devotional series running through the Lenten Season (March 5-April 20th).  
Please feel free to comment below and share this devotional with your friends and family.
If you would like to receive the devotions by e-mail please visit www.1stchurch.org to sign up.

Comments