Reflections on a "super" Sunday



Seattle - 43, Denver - 8. Now that that's out of the way, it is important to note that the Super Bowl was not the only thing happening yesterday. There was something happening that was, by and far, so much more important than a football game. I say this as one who loves sports of all kinds. I will watch international ping pong if possible. However, here I am on Monday morning reflecting on the previous day and the day ahead.

Yesterday, I was able to experience two amazing services of Christian worship. At the 8:15 service, I was able to sit with the congregation, sing the hymns, pray, hear a very convicting sermon, and receive Holy Communion. Later, I was honored to lead worship. The music was inspiring. I was told by some that the sermon was motivating and convicting for them. Holy Communion was served. My prayer, before both of these services of worship in which I participated, was that God would be honored, that the worship would be a pleasing and appropriately grace-filled offering from all present.

With that reality in mind, the services of worship were far more important than THE football game. Lives were touched. A means of grace was offered through Communion. God was honored. What more could you ask to happen in a day? Which activity, Christian worship or the Super Bowl, has the most lasting effect?

For a season, we will remember the game, the commercials, the amazingly sung National Anthem by opera star, Renee Fleming (the best ever, in my opinion) and the high-energy half-time show. After half-time, I was privileged to witness an amazing house transformation by The Property Brothers on HGTV. All of these things will become a distant memory. But, the worship will linger for an eternity - perhaps without us even knowing it. Transformation has happened and lives have been changed by God's amazing Holy Spirit.

To God be the glory! 
Amen and amen!

Larry


Comments