"Love at first sight," 60 years later

During February we have been spotlighting marriage through pictures and stories from couples here at 1st UMC-Maryville.  Lyoren and Wanda Teffeteller were married on May 23, 1953.  Here's the story of how they met and what's kept them together so long.

Lyoren and I attended Maryville High School.  He was two years ahead of me in grades.  We were taking part in a Y-Teen variety program when we met officially. I think it was love at first sight for me. A friend of mine said I told her, "That's the one I want to marry."

Lyoren graduated and was attending U.T. He would call to chat occasionally but never asked me out.  The day my heart almost broke was when he called to ask me if I would go out with a friend of his that attended Maryville College. I informed him, I didn't date strangers.  He said, "Well, would you go out with me?"  The rest is history.  We dated all the time he attended U.T. I finished high school, attended Maryville College, Business College and worked at ALCOA.

We were married two weeks before he graduated from U.T. Since I was the one with a job, I actually bought his wedding suit.  All our parents gave us was a pat on the back and well wishes. Needless to say we started our married life on a shoe string budget and a broken one at that!

The years, 61 this year, were lived in Florida while Lyoren was in the service, time in Pennsylvania and Indiana and back to Tennessee where he worked for ALCOA as an electrical engineer. We wanted to raise our family; a son, Mike; and a daughter Kathy, where we had grown up in a Christian community. Our married life was always centered around and still is, family and church. As I reflect on our years together, and they have been good years, the fact that both of us were fortunate enough to be raised by Christian parents made us want to have a Christian family as well.

Comments